Saturday, May 4, 2013

Quick, Easy, and Fantastic Sauteed Okra

With the growing season coming up, it's time to think about what kind of vegetables and fruits you should plant in your garden. There is a gem that most people overlook. The plant produces very pretty flowers and then turns them into a tasty vegetable. Most people say "ewwww" to Okra. But just like my Brussels Sprouts recipe, I will change your mind. Fresh Okra from the garden is very tasty and if you cook it right, not slimy. My very picky teacher was not so excited when I asked him if he liked Okra. I asked him to try mine and he was reluctant but decided to follow his own advice and try it. He always said, "I'm not asking you to eat it, just taste it." He was impressed and said that it was actually pretty good! To me, that was a compliment and success! Here is my easy and quick Sauteed Okra recipe.

Sauteed Okra 
Serves 4
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 5 min
Total Time: 10 min

Ingredients:
  • 10-12 Fresh Okra 
  • 1 Tbls Butter
  • 1/2 tsp. Swine Dining's Sparlicon Seasoning
Directions:
  1. Clean Okra and cut into 1/4" slices. 
  2. In a medium fry pan, melt butter over medium high heat.
  3. Add Okra and season with Sparlicon. More or less according to taste.
  4. Saute until lightly golden or "slime" disappears.
  5. Serve
The interesting thing about Okra is that the edible pod that is formed on the plant starts out as a flower. It blooms for a day or so, then closes up and forms the pod you eat. The flower is actually really pretty. Below is a couple pictures of the flower.

Okra Flower

Okra Flower


Okra Pod
Sliced Okra
Melt butter
Sauteing in butter
Caramelized with little to no "slime
It has a great taste and many people like it. I like to find ways to cook vegetable that most people will turn their nose up at. My philosophy is, if you don't like something, try it again a different way. Sometimes one bad experience will ruin it for someone. Just keep an open mind and be willing to try new things! As always, leave a comment if you like it! Or if you don't!

1 comment:

  1. I am 31 years old and from the south so I have never had okra anyway other than fried... Until tonight. I tried your recipe - sooooo good!!

    And I had no idea okra was a flower before it turned into a pod. Learn something new every day. 😉

    ReplyDelete