Monday, September 24, 2012

Banana Melon

So, I finally had a ripe Banana Melon in the garden. This is the first time I have ever grown them. I purchased the seeds from my favorite seed company, Baker Heirloom Seed Company.

This is how they describe it on their website:
     90 days. Banana-shaped fruit, smooth yellow skin and sweet, spicy salmon flesh. 16-24 inches long, 5-8 lbs. It was listed in 1885 by J. H. Gregory’s Catalogue, which said, “When ripe it reminds one of a large, overgrown banana... It smells like one, having a remarkably powerful and delicious fragrance.” This is one of my all- time favorites, being very sweet and great for specialty markets. 



The first one was a small one, 3.668 lbs.

Me holding the Banana Melon.

Cut into the melon.
It tastes a lot like cantaloupe and is very sweet and juicy.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! Incredible article dude! Thank you, However I am encountering problems with your RSS.

    I don't know why I cannot subscribe to it. Is there
    anybody else having identical RSS problems? Anybody who
    knows the answer will you kindly respond? Thanx!!

    ReplyDelete