Sunday, October 6, 2013

Grape Pie

Fall is here and that means grapes are ready! If you are lucky enough to live in grape country like I do then you know all about the plethora of grapes that are ripening in the vineyards. Every day that I drive to class, I pass at least 5 or 6. As I drive by with the windows down, I can't help but smell the air saturated with the sweet smell of grapes. There are a couple farm stands on my way there and sometimes I stop in to see what they have. I usually buy some concord grapes so I can make Grape Pie. If you've never had it, it is sweet and extremely delicious. It has a burst of grape flavor and just the right amount of tartness. The only tedious part of making Grape Pie is the separating of the skins from the grapes. Other than that, everything else is easy! I didn't make up the recipe I use but I did find a great one from Allrecipes. Click HERE for the recipe.

 

Fresh locally grown Concord Grapes

Grapes removed from skins

Grape Skins set aside

All mixed up and put in oven

All done!
Make sure you put something under the pies when baking. The filling WILL rise. In the pie on the right in the picture of them in the oven, the filling rose just over the crust. So it is imperative you place something under it. It goes great with vanilla ice cream! Let me know what you think of Grape Pie when you make one!

No comments:

Post a Comment