If you have a full service meat department at your local grocer or a butcher, get your chicken breast from them and have them run it through the "Cuber" or "Tenderizer" once. It will thin it out and make it nice and tender. If you don't have someone that can do that, you can either buy thin chicken breast or pound them out yourself with a meat mallet. Lucky for me, I work at a grocery store in the meat department that has such a machine.
Also, in the pictures, I show a large chunk of Smoked Gouda. As I found out in the end result, it was a little too large and didn't quite melt all the way. So when cutting the cheese, try not to use such a large chunk. Maybe about 1/4" thick. I went about 1/2". Plus, you don't want too much cheese. Smoked Gouda is a rather strong cheese and you don't want it to overpower your Chicken.
Smoked Gouda Chicken Cordon Bleu
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 20-30 min
- 2 Large Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, ran through cuber (See note above.)
- Smoked Gouda (How much depends on how cheesy you want it. See note above.)
- 2 Thin Slices of Ham from the Deli (Again, your preference of Ham.)
- Italian Style Panko Bread Crumbs for coating.
- Olive Oil Spray
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Layout ham and place chunk of Gouda on one end.
- Fold ham around cheese to make a sort of "packet".
- Lay out chicken breast, silver side up. Silver side has a silvery look to it. Tender side should be on bottom.
- Place ham and cheese "packet" on widest of chicken breast.
- Roll chicken around ham and cheese, tucking in sides as you go. See pictures for help.
- Spray Chicken and a cookie sheet with olive oil spray.
- Roll Chicken in bread crumbs and place on the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until chicken is done and cheese is melted. Try not to overcook the chicken.
|Start of ham and cheese "packet".|
|Ham and cheese "packet".|
|Placing the "packet" on the chicken.|
|Rolling the chicken around the "packet".|
|Spray this with olive oil spray for the bread crumbs to adhere.|
|Coating with bread crumbs.|
|Place on cookie sheet.|
|Cooked and ready to eat.|
These are easy to make and are a great meal. I served it with my Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus. That recipe is on here also! Please let me know how yours turned out.