Monday, March 26, 2012

Cheesy Pesto Orzo with Mushrooms, Tomatoes, and Zucchini

I had such a taste for Pesto, and while at work the other night, saw a jar on sale. So I bought it and couldn't figure out what I wanted. Tonight for dinner, I tried out the new Fresh Takes by Kraft. I will review that in another post. I wanted to create a side dish to go along with it. Here's what I came up with.

Cheesy Pesto Orzo with Mushrooms, Tomato, Zucchini.


Serves 8


Ingredients

  • 1 Tbs Olive Oil
  • 1 Small Onion
  • 1 Clove Garlic
  • 1 Small Zucchini
  • 4 oz. White Mushrooms
  • 14.5 oz. Can Petite Diced Tomatoes
  • 8 oz. Orzo Pasta
  • Splash White Wine
  • 1 Cup Italian Blend Shredded Cheese
  • Pinch Salt and Pepper
  • 4 oz. Basil Pesto
Directions
  1. Bring water to boil in a Medium Pot. Add Orzo. Cook to package directions. Drain.
  2. Small dice the Zucchini and Mushrooms and set aside.
  3. Place Saute Pan over Medium heat. Add Olive Oil.
  4. Finely dice Onion and add to pan. 
  5. While onion is sauteing, mince garlic and add to pan. Be careful not to burn garlic.
  6. Add Mushrooms, Zucchini, and Splash of White Wine.
  7. Saute until tender.
  8. Add can of Petite Diced Tomatoes and bring to simmer. 
  9. Add cooked Orzo to mixture.
  10. Add Pesto and Cheese. Mix until incorporated.
Notes
  • I like to add a Tablespoon or 2 of Pasta water while bringing to simmer. 
  • You can add more or less of the vegetables.
  • You can add more or less of the Pesto and Cheese, depending on your preference.
Added the onion

Added Zucchini and garlic

Added Mushrooms and wine

Added tomatoes and pasta water

Added Orzo and Pesto

Final product topped with cheese

You could probably make this a main dish by added cooked chicken. It turned out pretty good for making this up on a whim. Let me know if you like this! Check out all my other recipes.


No comments:

Post a Comment